Coronation Salad Sandwich
A Right Royal Veggie and Vegan Coronation Chicken Sarnie!
A vegan and vegetarian faux chicken version of the traditional Coronation Chicken recipe - a lovely sandwich which tastes luxurious but is easy and quick to make. Just multiply the ingredients as appropriate if you want to make more. And if you don't like faux meats, use thinly sliced smoked tofu instead!
2 large slices of good quality wholemeal bread
60g/2oz vegetarian chicken or seitan, sliced quite thinly - Redwood's Roast 'Chicken' particularly good
1 handful lettuce leaves of choice (not Iceberg)
1 dsp mango chutney
4 thin slices tomato
1 tsp tomato purée
1 tbsp Plamil vegan mayonnaise
1 tbsp dairy-free yoghurt
1/2 tsp Madras curry paste or powder
1 pinch ground allspice
1 dried apricot, finely chopped
1 splash lemon juice
1 sprig coriander, roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Make Coronation Sauce by mixing all ingredients together in a bowl, whisking well with a fork until well combined.
2. Add the mock ‘chicken’/seitan and coat well with the sauce.
3. Spread mango chutney on one slice of bread.
4. Place lettuce leaves and tomato on top of that slice, then the Coronation Sauce/‘chicken’ mix on the other.
5. Place the 2 bread slices together, press gently and slice diagonally.
6. Wrap in foil or place in a sandwich box to transport.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.